Violin Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually
Violin Lessons – Overview and General Information
The Hollywood Academy of Music and Arts has been consistently named as the best music school and top program for violin lessons in the Los Angeles area. Our Academy has provided tens of thousands of in-person music and violin lessons to students from Hollywood, West LA, West Hollywood, Culver City, Beverly Hills, Glendale, Pasadena, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Brentwood, Bel Aire, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, and the surrounding areas. Additionally, we have delivered world-class virtual lessons to students out-of-state and abroad, specifically in China, France, the Cook Islands, Ukraine, Georgia, Germany, Slovenia, Japan, South Korea, and the United Kingdom.
With decades of teaching experience, our violin teachers are personable, engaging, and most importantly – experienced teaching violin to students of all ages and all levels. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced graduate student, the violin instructors at the Hollywood Academy of Music and Arts have you covered.
Violin Lessons in Los Angeles for Children (Ages 4+)
Our instructors have decades of experience teaching complete beginners and guiding them through the fundamentals of music and violin, including music theory, sight reading, and ear training with an end goal of guiding them through to an advanced level. If interested, our Violin Honors Program provides students with the ability to take violin lessons twice-a-week and make faster progress. Generally, we use the world-famous Suzuki Violin Curriculum, while supplementing it with our own exercises which have been perfected for over 20 years.
We recommended violin students at the age of 4 (four). Violin (and also piano) are the best instruments to start children on from a very young age. Violins are sized to a fit even a very small child which makes it easy for a younger child to begin lessons. Most adults will use a full size violin, but it’s best to be sized before renting or buying first. Before a student begins violin lessons it is important to be fitted for the instrument, to ensure that the instrument properly fits the length of their arm. Violin is certainly a more challenging instrument to learn in the beginning stages than piano (and remember, violins do not have frets and require regular tuning). However, we have found that students that stick with violin long term and become proficient on this instrument often develop a musical ear that most other students do not.
You also may have heard of the violin also referred to as the “fiddle”. It is virtually the same exact instrument, with the primary difference being that an actual fiddle consists of a long shaped neck with slightly less arch as compared to a violin. Many students interested in “fiddling” use a standard violin and play fiddle style music: which tends to use a lot of string bending and multiple stop bowing, whereas the violin requires a cleaner, single noted tone.
If your child is younger than four (4), please check out or two awesome music classes for the very young: the Prodigies Childhood Music Class (private, ages 2+) and Little Folks Rock Band (ages 3.5-7).
Violin Lessons in Los Angeles for Adults
As an adult student, you may feel scared or shy to start up violin lessons. However, you will be pleased to know that over 40% of the students taking violin lessons at the Hollywood Academy of Music are adults! Whether you are an actor looking to expand your musical abilities, a software engineer looking for a new hobby, or just want to pick up violin because you took lessons as a child – we are here to help.
In addition to specializing in complete beginners, our faculty of violin teachers with Master’s and DMA degrees from the world’s leading universities have decades of experience teaching advanced students, including at the university level. No matter what your situation or level is, learning the violin is totally doable as an adult!
Should you Rent or Purchase a Violin for Lessons?
Renting a violin (as opposed to purchase) is often a preferable option for parents of young children because as a child grows they will need to move into a bigger violin. As an added bonus, violins for your lessons can be rented through the Hollywood Academy’s Violin Lesson Rental Program. We have all violin sizes available (starting at 1/8 all the way to full size) and offer the ability to swap your instrument for a bigger size at any time. To learn more about rentals, please click here and enter the code “Hollywood” to be routed to our stock.
Learn More About Our Violin Instructors
As a premier music academy in Los Angeles, a single opening for a violin teacher at our Los Angeles campus generally receives over a hundred applications from top violin teachers in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. We take our hiring process extremely seriously and screen each teacher for the following qualities:
- World-class education from the world’s finest music schools, programs, and universities (Juilliard, UCLA, USC Thornton School of Music, Moscow P.I. Tchaikovsky Conservatory, Berklee College of Music, the Royal Conservatory of London)
- Real-world performing experience
- Positive and engaging personality
- Ability to create custom plans and goals for students of all ages and levels
Our instructors are ready to help you reach your goals, whether they are to learn the fundamentals or to receive a full-ride scholarship as a music major to a top university!
Why You Should Choose the Hollywood Academy of Music for Violin Classes in Los Angeles
- Premier Music Academy Serving Los Angeles Since 2004
- Month-to-Month Lessons and No Contracts
- Convenient Scheduling Options on Weekdays and Weekdays
- Comfortable Waiting Area and Garden-Style Patio with Complimentary WiFi
- Rehearsal Spaces for Students to Record Performances and Practice
- Complimentary Use of On-Premises Recording Studio for Students
- Educated and Experienced Faculty with 18+ Dedicated Teachers
- Month-to-Month Lessons and No Contracts
- Frequent Recitals and Performance Opportunities
- Private Make Ups
- Unlike most schools, we provide private make ups, rather than having students attend group classes in lieu of missed classes
Frequently Asked Questions about Violin Lessons
1. At what age should a child start violin lessons?
Usually, the recommended age to start violin is four (4) and up. Students younger than four (4) are encouraged to enroll in our private Early Childhood Music Classes or Little Folks Rock Band which focus on teaching music fundamentals in a game-like and fun environment. The benefits of taking violin lessons as a child are numerous, including cognitive development, improved memory, and social benefits. Music has been scientifically proven to improve academic results, mental health, and self-esteem, all while providing children with a life-long passion.
2. Am I too old to start violin lessons?
Our oldest violin student was 55. You are never too old to learn as long as you are motivated and put in the effort. Our caring teachers are here to support and guide you on the wonderful journey of learning music. Adults learning music can gain a life-long passion, meet new people, and improve their confidence and self-esteem. For adult students, our teachers are not just there to teach – they are also mentors who can help you conquer your fears. We see our adult students partake in their first open mics and give their first recitals on a daily basis. Music is an inspiration, no matter your level and age!
3. How long will it take to learn the violin?
Music is like sports, and to reach the highest levels, long-term commitment is required. However, not everyone is here to become a professional musician. Generally, for easier-level songs, you can expect progress in just a few months of violin lessons. With time, you will see improvement in your musicality, technique, sight reading, and understanding of music theory.
4. I do not have space to practice. What should I do?
We are not just a music academy providing the best music lessons – we are a community! Because of this, we offer practice space to those students who cannot practice at home due to noise concerns.
5. Are violin lessons customized to my goals?
Yes, all violin lessons are customized and tailored to your goals. For complete beginners, you can expect to spend the first few weeks covering fundamentals (holding the violin, basic sight reading). The pieces you play will include a combination of specialized repertoire aimed at improving your technique. Additionally, you will usually play duets with your teacher, which are not only engaging and fun, but will offer you the opportunity to practice your coordination and rhythmic skills!
Need a More Comprehensive Guide for Violin Lessons and Other Music Classes?
- View our Piano Guide for Students: 10 Important Tips to Make the Most Out of Piano Lessons
- View our Guitar Guide for Students: 10 Important Tips to Make the Most Out of Guitar Lessons
- View our Ukulele Guide for Students: 10 Important Tips to Make the Most Out of Ukulele Lessons
- View our Violin Guide for Students: 10 Important Tips to Make the Most Out of Violin Lessons
- View our Voice Guide for Students: 10 Important Tips to Make the Most Out of Voice and Singing Lessons
- 51 Tips to Make the Most Out of Music Lessons –
- All Guides by the © Hollywood Academy of Music and Arts – for personal use only
Interested in Other Music Lessons and Programs?
We offer the following programs:
- Violin Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually for Children and Adults
- Guitar Lessons in Los Angeles for Children and Adults
- Drum Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually for Children and Adults
- Ukulele Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually for Children and Adults
- Singing and Voice Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually for Children and Adults
- Piano Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually
- Songwriting Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually – Write Your Own Song!
For a complete list of available music programs and lessons, please click here.