See Our Guitar Students in Action
Guitar Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually
Guitar Lessons – Overview and General Information
The Hollywood Academy of Music and Arts has been consistently named as the best music school and top program for guitar lessons in the Los Angeles area. Our Academy has provided tens of thousands of in-person music and guitar lessons to students from Hollywood, West LA, West Hollywood, Culver City, Beverly Hills, Glendale, Pasadena, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Brentwood, Bel Aire, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, and the surrounding areas. Additionally, we have delivered world-class virtual lessons to students out-of-state and abroad, specifically in China, France, the Cook Islands, Ukraine, Georgia, Germany, Slovenia, Japan, South Korea, and the United Kingdom.
With decades of teaching experience, our guitar teachers are personable, engaging, and most importantly – experienced teaching guitar (both acoustic and electric) to students of all ages and all levels. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced student, the guitar instructors at the Hollywood Academy of Music and Arts have you covered.
Guitar Lessons in Los Angeles for Children (Ages 6+)
Our instructors have decades of experience teaching complete beginners and guiding them through the fundamentals of music and guitar, including music theory, sight reading, and technique with an end goal of guiding them through to an advanced level. Students who are interested in making faster progress are allowed to enroll in guitar lessons twice-a-week. We recommend students start acoustic guitar or electric guitar lessons at age 6 and up.
For beginning students between the ages of 4-5 that express an interest in guitar lessons, we alternately recommend starting on the ukulele first, for two reasons: 1) because the size of the ukulele is much smaller and easier to hold and 2) because the chording technique is much easier and less physically demanding than the guitar. Many ukulele chords can be played with one or two fingers which make the ukulele much easier to play for beginners. Ukulele strings are also nylon, smaller, and simply don’t hurt a beginning students hands as much. Most guitar chords require three or four fingers to play, which makes it more difficult for younger children to properly fret. Once a younger student has played ukulele for some time, it will be relatively much easier to make the transition to the guitar.
If your child is younger than four (4), please check out or two awesome music classes for the very young: the Prodigies Childhood Music Class (private, ages 2+) and Little Folks Rock Band (ages 3.5-7).
Guitar Lessons in Los Angeles for Adults (Overview)
As an adult student, you may feel scared or shy to start up guitar lessons. However, you will be pleased to know that over 40% of the students taking guitar lessons at the Hollywood Academy of Music are adults! Whether you are an actor looking to expand your musical abilities, a software engineer looking for a new hobby, or just want to pick up guitar because you took lessons as a child – we are here to help.
In addition to specializing in complete beginners, our faculty of guitar teachers with Master’s and DMA degrees from the world’s leading universities have decades of experience teaching advanced students, including at the university level. No matter what your situation or level is, learning the guitar is totally doable as an adult!
Guitar lessons at Hollywood Academy of Music and Arts will include a healthy mix of technique and repertoire (learning songs). Private lessons will be customized to the individual student’s interests, especially in terms of the songs learned. Lessons will typically include some of the following subjects (depending on student’s skill level):
- Single string technique – learning how to play melodies and “guitar riffs”
- Chord strumming
- Learning songs (or parts of songs) from the students favorite bands/artists
- Open chords, barre chords, extensions and inversions
- Scales, arpeggios & modes
- Reading guitar tablature and note reading on the grand staff
- Learning how to play and transcribe songs by ear (ear training)
- Guitar based music theory
- Playing guitar as a duo with your teacher
Learn More About Our Guitar Instructors
As a premier music academy in Los Angeles, a single opening for a guitar teacher at our Los Angeles campus generally receives over a hundred applications from top guitar teachers in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. We take our hiring process extremely seriously and screen each teacher for the following qualities:
- World-class education from the world’s finest music schools, programs, and universities (Juilliard, UCLA, USC Thornton School of Music, Moscow P.I. Tchaikovsky Conservatory, Berklee College of Music, the Royal Conservatory of London)
- Real-world performing experience
- Positive and engaging personality
- Ability to create custom plans and goals for students of all ages and levels
Our instructors are ready to help you reach your goals, whether they are to learn to accompany yourself on the guitar or to receive a full-ride scholarship as a music major to a top university!
Why You Should Choose the Hollywood Academy of Music for Guitar Classes in Los Angeles
- Premier Music Academy Serving Los Angeles Since 2004
- Month-to-Month Lessons and No Contracts
- Convenient Scheduling Options on Weekdays and Weekdays
- Comfortable Waiting Area and Garden-Style Patio with Complimentary WiFi
- Rehearsal Spaces for Students to Record Performances and Practice
- Complimentary Use of On-Premises Recording Studio for Students
- Educated and Experienced Faculty with 18+ Dedicated Teachers
- Month-to-Month Lessons and No Contracts
- Frequent Recitals and Performance Opportunities
- Private Make Ups
- Unlike most schools, we provide private make ups, rather than having students attend group classes in lieu of missed classes
Frequently Asked Questions about Guitar Lessons
1. At what age should a child start guitar lessons?
Usually, the recommended age to start guitar is six (6) and up. Students ages 4-5 are highly encouraged to enroll in Ukulele classes, as the instrument is much easier to start on than a full-size guitar. Students younger than four (4) are encouraged to enroll in our private Early Childhood Music Classes which focus on teaching music fundamentals in a game-like and fun environment. The benefits of taking guitar lessons as a child are numerous, including cognitive development, improved memory, and social benefits. Music has been scientifically proven to improve academic results, mental health, and self-esteem, all while providing children with a life-long passion.
2. Am I too old to start guitar lessons?
Our oldest guitar student was 73. You are never too old to learn as long as you are motivated and put in the effort. Our caring teachers are here to support and guide you on the wonderful journey of learning music. Adults learning music can gain a life-long passion, meet new people, and improve their confidence and self-esteem. For adult students, our teachers are not just there to teach – they are also mentors who can help you conquer your fears. We see our adult students partake in their first open mics and give their first recitals on a daily basis. Music is an inspiration, no matter your level and age!
3. How long will it take to learn the guitar?
Music is like sports, and to reach the highest levels, long-term commitment is required. However, not everyone is here to become a professional musician. Generally, for easier-level songs, you can expect progress in just a few months of guitar lessons. With time, you will see improvement in your musicality, technique, sight reading, and understanding of guitar-based music theory.
4. I do not have space to practice. What should I do?
We are not just a music academy providing the best music lessons – we are a community! Because of this, we offer practice space to those students who cannot practice at home due to noise concerns.
5. Are guitar lessons customized to my goals?
Yes, all guitar lessons are customized and tailored to your goals. For complete beginners, you can expect to spend the first few weeks covering fundamentals (guitar and wrist positioning, parts of the guitar). The pieces you play will include a combination of specialized repertoire aimed at improving your technique along with pieces you would like to work on. If you do not have any in mind or are a beginner, you will usually play duets with your teacher, which are not only engaging and fun, but will offer you the opportunity to practice your coordination and rhythmic skills!
Need a More Comprehensive Guide for Guitar Lessons and Other Music Classes?
- View our Piano Guide for Students: 10 Important Tips to Make the Most Out of Piano Lessons
- View our Guitar Guide for Students: 10 Important Tips to Make the Most Out of Guitar Lessons
- View our Ukulele Guide for Students: 10 Important Tips to Make the Most Out of Ukulele Lessons
- View our Violin Guide for Students: 10 Important Tips to Make the Most Out of Violin Lessons
- View our Voice Guide for Students: 10 Important Tips to Make the Most Out of Voice and Singing Lessons
- 51 Tips to Make the Most Out of Music Lessons –
- All Guides by the © Hollywood Academy of Music and Arts – for personal use only
Interested in Other Music Lessons and Programs?
We offer the following programs:
- Violin Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually for Children and Adults
- Guitar Lessons in Los Angeles for Children and Adults
- Drum Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually for Children and Adults
- Ukulele Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually for Children and Adults
- Singing and Voice Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually for Children and Adults
- Piano Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually
- Songwriting Lessons in Los Angeles and Virtually – Write Your Own Song!
For a complete list of available music programs and lessons, please click here.