We currently offer lessons for voice from ages 5 to adult.
Voice Lessons for Ages 5-8
We recommend that students can start voice lessons as young as 5 years old. However, for voice students that are between the ages of 5-8 vocal lessons will typically be a “combination lesson” – which will involve a class that is 15 minutes of piano and 15 minutes of voice. For students in the 5-8 year old age group voice lessons will be geared towards “singing for fun” and will not involve rigorous vocal technique as children this age are usually not old enough to safely engage in intensive voice technique. Learning the piano in tandem with voice helps young singers improve vocal pitch, and also gives them a broader understanding of how their singing voice intertwines with music and piano accompaniment. Learning the piano is also an effective tool for improving vocal pitch and ear training. As most parents know – children often begin singing joyfully and naturally before pre-school; lessons for children in the 5-8 year old age group are designed to engage and enhance their musical interests and further develop their passion for singing.
Voice Lessons for Ages 9-Adult
Once a student is around 9 years or older, students usually have enough development of the vocal chords and lung capacity to safely begin more rigorous traditional voice technique. Lessons will usually include:
- Vocal warm up exercises
- Singing scales and arpeggios
- Preparing and perfecting vocal repertoire and songs
- Understanding and identifying a student’s natural vocal range and vocal “break”
- Improving vocal pitch / singing in tune
- Expanding vocal range
- Pronunciation, enunciation and tongue twisters for the voice
- Strengthening both the head voice and chest voice
- Improving vocal power and strength – safely
- Vocal science and anatomy of the voice
- Instrumental accompaniment – learning how to sing and play at the same time (usually piano or guitar)
- Voice Versatility – students learn how to change their voice to adapt to different musical styles and genres … from musical theatre to rock to classical!
- Voice and Piano combination Lessons:
As noted above all of our voice instructors offer voice and piano combination lessons, which are available to students of all ages. A voice and piano combination lesson emphasizes a dual focus on both vocal technique and playing the piano – combined into one lesson. Part of the lesson will often be focused on teaching students how to sing and play with piano accompaniment at the same time.